An inferno burnt three children to death in Ado village, Karu Local Government Area of Nasarawa State early this morning.
NAN reports that the incident, which has thrown residents of the area into mourning, also razed a bungalow.
It was gathered that the fire started at about 6:30am but the cause of the fire could not be ascertained as of the time of filing this report.
However, an eyewitness, Mr Cambric Ayet, who lost property to the fire said;
“My wife was the first person who came out to see heavy smoke coming out of a neighbour’s room and started shouting.”
‘‘On getting to the room, l noticed that it was locked and l thought my neighbour was cooking, locked the room and went out since there was no electricity throughout the night.
‘‘It was when we were trying to break the door to have access to the room that we saw our neighbour, (the mother of the children) coming toward the house.
‘‘As she saw people and the incident, she started shouting ‘my children, my children’; that was when we got to know that three children were inside the room.’’
Mr Sunday Ugwa, the father of the deceased children, gave their names as Chimobi, Chinonso, and Destiny.
He said he was confused when he got the news of the incident through a neighbour. Ugwa said;
‘‘My wife explained that she went to buy a recharge card and she was not cooking before she went out; what then could be the source of the fire?
‘‘My wife does not cook inside, our kitchen is outside; we don’t use gas to cook because of the children, how come such fire,?’’ he asked.
Commenting on the event upon his arrival at the scene, Mr Zaks Wambi, DSP, in charge of New Nyanya Police Station, Karu, described the incident as unfortunate.
Wambi, who condoled with the victims, advised members of the public to desist from using inferior gas cooking equipment.
‘‘We have experienced series of such incidents resulting from keeping gas inside the kitchen to cook which is not proper,”